Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Korean War Tribute








On Tuesday the 3rd of April. I journeyed to Penn's Landing and parked my car in front of the Korean War Memorial. I wanted to honor the brave men who were either killed or missing in action. I walked some blocks to South Street and purchased 4 long stemmed roses. When I returned I studied the memorial pillars and placed 2 roses at the base of the pillar which would have carried the name of my Grandfather had he never returned from battle. The monument made me realize how lucky I was to be in college. Many men my age are dying or returning without limbs. The war in Iraq is a tragedy. I watched an old man scan the memorial. He seemed to be glad to see someone my age paying tribute. I'm definitely very grateful for the sacrifices that the soldiers who fought in Korea made so that I can enjoy the simple freedoms that are often taken for granted. Before leaving I traced a few names off of a pillar with paper and pencil. I wanted to take something with me to remember my experience so that I wouldn't soon forget.

No comments: