Thursday, February 15, 2007

3D Neighborhood & Labyrinth



The assignment was to construct a 3 dimensional labyrinth and neighborhood that popped off the page. I decided to portray my neighborhood as a boring little town with little diversity. I did this by making perfect rows of cookie cutter homes out of plain white computer paper. Most towns have a school and a church so I added both. After the addition of 3 tiny cars my work was complete. I also think it's important to note that the town was constructed atop a calendar. I felt that this symbolized the monotony of my environment which is pretty much the same day in and day out. My labyrinth was a maze with a sort of monolith structure in the center. This too was constructed from plain white computer paper. My classmates and instructor got a kick out of the paper which was beneath my labyrinth. It was the flip side of my Sports Illustrated Swim Suit Calendar. When presenting my work I joked about the women. I said that I most likely would not try to find my way out of a labyrinth that was filled with beautiful women. I enjoyed the assignment because it allowed me to be an artist. It also really made me appreciate the city of Philadelphia. I enjoy the cities diverse culture.

No comments: